"When the wash was clean and hauled in off the line, the beans were ready..."
From: Marshal Z. in New Orleans
Sent: Friday, May 11, 2001 7:50 PM

"Where you been?"

I lived in uptown New Orleans in the 1980s and ate at least two or three meals a week at the Camellia Grill. Yes, that Camellia Grill, the one with the T-shirt which James Carville made famous.

And I almost always made it to the Grill on Monday or, as I used to think of it, red beans and rice day. Supposedly, back in the days when washing clothes was a major chore even for the middle classes, folks used to soak dried red beans for a few hours and then slow cook them for hours more. When the wash was clean and hauled in off the line, the beans were ready.

Camellia Grill serves a very healthy portion of red beans and rice along with a couple of slices of buttered white toast and a hamburger patty. I used to have the beans and rice with wheat (you had to ask) toast and no patty. And a Diet Coke. And the waiters, good guys one & all, knew that was my order.

I'd sit down at the counter, shake hands with a waiter who had probably served me a couple of days ago or certainly at least once within the last 10 days, and nod when he asked "The usual?" Then we shook our heads over the latest failings of the Saints or the hot weather: stupidity and humidity, our favorite topics.

Anyway, I left New Orleans for Charlottesville in 1990. I made the rough calculation that I'd been in New Orleans for 51 out of 52 Mondays before I left, and that I'd eaten red beans and rice at the Camellia Grill on 50 of those Mondays.

I thought I'd be back to Louisiana frequently enough to visit and, not being big on goodbyes anyway, didn't tell my friends at the Grill I was leaving. As it turned out, it was about a year before I returned for red beans and rice. I walked in the Grill, took my seat, and shook hands with one of my favorite waiters.

"Where you been?"

"Virginia."

"Virginia?" He shook his head, clearly aware that red beans and rice were about as common at UVA as good mole is in Copenhagen. Then he said the words that brought me home...I mean, home: "The usual?"

"Dona Maria ...is VERY good--even without McDonald's nuggets.."