"... she said it would help us snowboard better..."
From: Leah in Boulder
Sent: Friday, July 27, 2001 12:55 PM

Karen started teaching beginning Iyengar yoga classes in the space behind the small natural foods market I was working at while finishing college. Karen works at the store as well and encouraged my friends and I to come. The class was free for employees and she said it would help us snowboard better.

A group of us started going every Sunday morning. It was extremely challenging physically and emotionally. As I stood in downward dog pose, shaking profusely trying to stay up there and mentally trying to block out random giggles and bodily noises, I was overcome with the connection I was feeling with my body. As time went by, I started going to Karen's class twice a week and practicing at home. My relationship with Karen became stronger and she became a mentor for me. She had a way of explaining poses and movement that made sense to me. She made it easy for me to discuss challenges I was facing with a particular pose or body part. "Everyone's body is different and will have challenges with different poses" she would say.

When snowboarding season came around, I felt fantastic, balanced and strong. Yoga did indeed help me progress in my riding techniques, but Yoga has brought me so much more. I feel at peace with my mind and body. I have balance, strength and flexibility. My body is loose and free. I manage stress through meditation and simple sitting poses. I can self-heal physically and mentally. I find myself recommending Yoga for all sorts of reasons to friends and strangers. I want the world to reap the benefits of this amazingly simple and complete exercise for the mind and body. I still practice yoga and know that I always will.

"...hypnotized to break the habit of thumb sucking..."